Transportation
Hochul Took ‘Wrong Turn’ on NYC Congestion Fee, Comptroller Says
- Lander considers legal action if tolling plan fails to start
- Initiative was set to provide $15 billion for transit upgrades
This article is for subscribers only.
New York City Comptroller Brad Lander accused Governor Kathy Hochul of violating state law when she halted a congestion pricing plan that would fund $15 billion of modernization projects for the city’s public transportation system.
Lander joined transit and environmental advocacy groups in opposing Hochul’s surprise decision announced last week. They are considering legal action if the plan isn’t reinstated by the end of the month, when it was originally set to begin, he told reporters Wednesday. A lawsuit will likely be filed in coming weeks in New York state court, according to Columbia Law School professor Michael Gerrard, who is working with Lander.